More progress on the Black Walnut Cupboard

After four days led on my back from lifting something I shouldn’t of I managed to do some more on the cupboard this morning 🙂

First I laid out all the boards ready for ripping to maximise yeald and cutting all the sapwood out.

Here is a pic of the shorter lengths ripped down and all the waste 😦

All edges jointed, next step glue up into wider boards and thickness to 3/4″

Rather a lot of waste though 😦

This afternoon I biscuited all the top

Then glued up the top in two halfs

Tomorrow I’ll glue the two together then do the same to make up the two end panels.

🙂

The top is fully glued up. The two ends still in two halves so one more glue up finishes the main panels. This pic shows the underside of the main top, so don’t worry about the odd sap wood showing. You can’t have enough clamps can you. 😀

The Anglian window gripe continues

For those who don’t know the story…. if you scroll down this blog page you will see the story emerge
———————————————————————————————-

I thought I might bring the saga up to date….

We were contacted mid December that a service engineer would visit us to do an inspection on the 17th of January.

On the 17th he duly arrived at 5.30pm 😦 and an hour later had agreed the patio door and two large windows need to be removed and refitted correctly, and that the work would need two men to do the job which should be done in one day. He said his report would be posted to their head office in Norwich on Monday the 21st of January. He also said it would probably take about six weeks before the work was done, and he advised us to ring the head office rather than wait for a date and that by ringing it would pressurize them to give an earlier date to fix the problems.

So on the 24th I rang Anglian’s head office looking for the date of remedial work to be done.

The following is from my recollection of what was said.

Me: Hello I’ve been advised by your engineer to ring you for a date as to when my faulty windows and patio door would be fixed…..

Head office: (After searching their data base) Ah! found it……. long pause…………. But it says here Mr X didn’t turn up and inspect it.

ME: But he did turn up and it’s with his advice to ring you that I’m talking to you now……

Long pause…………

Head office I’m sorry sir but our records says he didn’t turn up……

Me Now look I’m telling you he turned up made his report and by now you should have received it. So when are you comming to do the remedial work?

Head office I’m sorry sir but until we receive the report we can’t give you a date. I’ll get my supervisor to ring you when we have talked to the branch concerned.

Well no one telephoned me back Grrrrr………..

So I waited till today the 28th and rang them again….

Me: Hello I’ve been advised by your engineer to ring you for a date as to when my faulty windows and patio door would be fixed…..

Head office: (After searching their data base) Ah! found it……. long pause…………. But it says here Mr X didn’t turn up and inspect it.

ME: But he did turn up and it’s with his advice to ring you that I’m talking to you now……

Long pause…………

Head office I’m sorry sir but our records says he didn’t turn up……

Me Now look I’m telling you he turned up made his report and by now you should have received it. So when are you coming to do the remedial work?

Head office I’m sorry sir but until we receive the report we can’t give you a date. I’ll get my supervisor to ring you when we have talked to the branch concerned.

Totally f@@king unbelievable but true I promise you…..

For the latest in the saga read the posting headed “Latest update of the Anlian Gripe”

New Walnut Cuboard Construction Begins

With the 1″ boards acclimatised and cut over length by approximately 4” to allow me to cut off any snipe every piece was edged on one edge and faced on the jointer/planer then passed through the thicknesser down to 7/8th. I’ll leave it now for a day or two before finally thicknessing down to 3/4″.

I would estimate 25% contains sapwood so a lot of sawing gluing and a lot of selecting the best faces are going to be the order of the day to cut down on a lot of waste.

More to follow 😀

New Walnut Cupboard Project

I’ve designed a cupboard unit to match the existing drawer unit made in American Black Walnut.

This is a pic of the drawer unit.

This project will also be made from ABW.

Here are some pics of the design.

Slightly bigger than the drawer unit, this is 52″ long and 24″ high

Made to match an existing draw unit this cupboard will have two hinged doors to the left and right and the centre door will be hinged from the bottom.

Not very good rendering I know but this pic gives a taste of what it will look like, even without the doors fitted.

😀

Home made Mallets

Heads all Beech, handles made from oak, walnut & mahogany.

My christmas presents


Bosch Angle Grinder & discs, Veritas scraper plane, Laser level, corner clamp, ratchet screwdriver & set of bits, Bionic wrench.